OK so I decided to buy the base K2 kit and build it along with my son.
Choosing Elecraft is a no brainer, but any of the other kit manufacturers would be fine also. The point it to give a young man an opportunity to see something start from a box of parts and become a higher level assembly.
We are also considering the Elecraft KX1 as a good starter kit. We have already built several of the other smaller Elecraft kits.
Here is a summary of our current situation…
- I have read the various FAQs, tips, etc.
- I am not new to kit building.
- We have a good soldering station.
- If the K2 works out well we will use it on CW for a while and then add
enhancements: SSB first then others (perhaps DSP, 160M, 60M-Xvrter,
- Are there tools or tips I am missing before I drop the coin?
The summary of the very helpful answers are…